THURSDAY, Feb. 26, 2015 (HealthDay News) — Having good full-service supermarkets in poor neighborhoods doesn’t mean children will have healthier diets, a new study suggests.
"Low-income and ethnic minority neighborhoods are underserved by supermarkets relative to their higher-income counterparts, and it would appear to be logical that increasing availability of healthful foods could improve diets," said study author Brian Elbel, an associate professor of population health at New York University in New York City.
"However, we do not yet know whether or under what circumstances these stores will improve diet and health," Elbel explained in an NYU Langone Medical Center news release. "Food choice is complex, and the easy availability of lower-priced processed foods and pervasiveness of junk food marketing have implications for behavior change as well."
- Do you really think your wall is an appropriate place to carry on a conversation with your kid? Please do us all a favor and pick up the phone.
- Really? You’re going to share that medical information about your family member? Ever heard of HIPPA?
- Really? You’re going to air all that dirty laundry to your friends? This isn’t high school anymore, act like an adult and address your issues with the person involved.
- Yes, we all love pictures but we don’t care to see thousands of them! A few is enough – add them to your albums, a photography group, a blog but please quit flooding our wall with your pictures.
- Enough with the “woe is me” posts. People soon cease to care especially when any constructive suggestions by friends is rebuked by you.
- Maybe the actions of your past are best not shared to all? It’s admirable that you want to make amends with your past but please do so with the people involved, not everyone wants to hear every sordid detail of your life.
- Remember the TMI rule….is this too much information?
- Know the difference between your wall and a message. If it’s TMI it doesn’t belong on your wall.
- Enough with the statuses asking me to post ‘insert cause here’ on my wall. Yes we ALL know of someone who died or has cancer but adding it as my status update for an hour is not going to accomplish anything. Most people find these requests tiresome and annoying.
- Don’t try to be cute with a cryptic status update so people will ask, “what?” and then refuse to answer their question. Soon people won’t ask anymore.
A post I wrote in 2011 when I had my other blog. Appropriate then and still today.
With the current outbreak of measles which started in California there’s plenty of blame going around. The public is quick to blame the ’stupid’ anti-vaxers who do not have sufficient intellect to decipher fact from fiction, ‘I read it on the internet that it causes autism so it must be true’.
You might find this surprising.
- Schools in some of Los Angeles’s wealthiest neighborhoods now have similar vaccination rates to developing countries like Chad and South Sudan. At the Kabbelah Children’s Academy preschool in Beverly Hills, 57 percent of parents have filed a “personal belief exemption” from vaccinations, as have 68 percent at the Waldorf Early Childhood Center in Santa Monica.
So before you’re quick to blame the tea party and Republicans you might want to look at the elite Hollywood liberals. Like Bill Maher, on last nights show jumped right into the debate saying , “I’m not an anti-vaxer….however” and went on to say he would never get a flu shot or any other vaccine. Well if that’s not an anti-vaxer I don’t know what is.
I have seen the sea when it is stormy and wild;
when it is quiet and serene;
when it is dark and moody.
And in all its moods,
I see myself.